Sunday, January 25, 2015

Call to action: Help the Nyambaka library!


This humble single-room building is the public library of Nyambaka. The fruits of a former volunteer's labor, it's conveniently located a stone's throw from the high school, and has become a place where students study, teachers grade tests, and members of the community flip through magazines and books. For a village library that didn't exist five years ago, it's made great strides, but the individuals in charge of its upkeep wish they had more to offer.

This is where I'm asking for your help. I know I was something of a book-hoarder back home and had to occasionally clean out my bookshelves, and I'm hoping that some among you do the same. Language and level are no issue: The library accepts books for all ages in French, English, Spanish, and German (the languages taught at the high school), and all contributions are greatly appreciated, as books are quite expensive.

As the library has no budget and is run by people who volunteer their time, they don't have a post office box--delivery to one's address or place of business like we have in the States doesn't exist in Cameroon--so if you have a book you'd like to donate to the Nyambaka library, please send it to my P.O. box in the regional capital (BP 567, Ngaoundere, Cameroon) and I'll pass it on to one of the volunteers.

Thank you so much to everyone who has read the blog, sent letters or packages, and encouraged me during the first months of my service. My hope now is that I can give the community of Nyambaka as much support as you have given me.


1 comment:

  1. If we send money, are there books you could purchase in Ngaoundere?

    ReplyDelete