Thursday, September 11, 2014

Milestone: First Interaction Entirely in Fulfulde!

Me: Sannu! Hello!
Vendor: Sannu! Hello!
Me: Jam na? How are you?
Vendor: Jam. I’m fine.
Me: Useko. [points to an ear of roasted corn] Dalla noy? How much is it?
Vendor: Dalla noogas. One hundred francs.
Me: OK. [gives money, takes corn] Useko! Thank you!
Vendor: Useko! Thank you!


True, it doesn’t seem like much, but after a few weeks of awkwardly smiling and nodding whenever people talk to me in Fulfulde, this moment honestly felt like a step forward for me. Yes, there is a long way to go: the other Volunteer here in Nyambaka can have a full conversation in Fulfulde, but then again, she’s been here for two years and arrived less than a month ago. Luckily, I’ve found some wonderful people in the village who are willing to help me learn, “seta seta” (little by little).

1 comment: